sketch of vintage camera

Tintern Abbey

The magnificent Gothic structure peeps above the ancient forest on the banks on the River Wye, before the trees rise up the valley uninterrupted towering over the abbey. Founded in 1131, consecrated in 1301, it began its descent into ruin in 1536 when it was surrendered to Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries.

In the centuries since, it’s inspired many great artists. To name just two, it’s the subject of J. M. W. Turner’s Tintern Abbey: The Crossing and Chancel, Looking towards the East Window, and William Wordsworth’s Lines Written a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey. Great artists, terrible at naming things.

The appeal is obvious. It’s well worth a visit for the history, architecture, and remarkable natural beauty of the river Wye and surrounding forest. There are plenty of walking routes in the area, the most well-known short route for a view over the abbey is across the bridge and up to Devil’s Pulpit. Exit through the gift shop, as the monks would have wanted.